There are different approaches to handling individual lessons, depending on your online enrollment and tracking needs. YourVirtuoso supports several variations, and before you start you may want to consider the following.
- Do you want full, "hands free" online enrollment? If you do, you will need to set up all your private lesson time-slots ahead of time. On the other hand, if you prefer to handle parts of the enrollment process yourself, in consultation with the customer, as many of our studios do, you can wait until you have a student enrolled to set up the class.
- Do you want to keep track of specific time-slots, attendance, or makeup/rescheduling? If you do not, you might find it easier to put all your private students into one "class" (or a few classes). We do not recommend this, as it makes many of the built-in features like confirmation emails, family class calendar, makeups etc. less useful, but it does simplify the enrollment process a little.
The steps below represent what we believe is the best compromise between minimizing the work you have to do to enroll a student, and providing you control over when, where, and with whom a student is scheduled for lessons. Briefly, this method comprises:
- No need to set up classes for each student time slot ahead of time
- Just set up the private lesson curriculum (curricula) to have it appear on the website
- Family requests a private lesson online, entering all the critical family and student information for you
- You contact them to finalize day, time etc.
- You Create a "class" for them with a couple of clicks and enroll them in it
Add Your Private Lesson Curriculum
- Go to Setup/Curricula
- Add a curriculum for your private lessons (or edit it if it is already there)
Pick, or Create a Private Lesson Curriculum
- If you have set up an affiliation as a General Music studio (MyInfo/Main), you will have a pre-defined private lesson curriculum already configured. Just select it.
- If you do not have a private lesson curriculum in the list, select New... to create one from scratch
- Click Next
Fill in/Edit the curriculum Parameters
- Add or Edit the curriculum parameters. You can choose to have different units for different instruments as in this example, or you can set up a new curriculum for each instrument, and use the units to track what year/level the student is at. The former is simplest, but the latter allows you to set up and track materials for different levels.
- The Class Size MUST be set to 1 for the private lesson scheduling features to work correctly
- The curriculum MUST be set to display even if no classes using it are active, so that it is always on your site.
- Once you have these parameters set, click Next
Complete Curriculum Description
- Edit the curriculum description. The default text shown is useful in clarifying the next step for the family when they have read the description - A Call to Action
- Add or edit the images you wish to use on the classes and curriculum pages
- Pick a color for the admin calendar to distinguish these lessons from other classes/lessons
- Click Next
Add Materials if Needed
- If you wish to track and/or charge for materials, add one or more materials options for each unit of the curriculum
- Click Next
- Verify the settings on the next page and click Save
When a family sees the listing for your private lessons on the website classes page, they click on it to get to the description page shown above.
The large button and the text you provide in the description should encourage them to click to "Schedule a Private Lesson"
Family Enters Their Information
The family will then enter all their critical information, add any comments about the type of lesson they want, desired schedule etc. and click Submit
This creates a family in your system, so you do not need to enter those details, and it alerts you via a "Registration Message" and an email if you have configured YourVirtuoso to copy you under MyInfo/Notifications
Receiving the Lesson Request
- In your admin system, you will see a display of recent events. Private lesson requests are included in this list, but may be mixed in with other registration events and system notifications
- To see a complete list of these notes, click on the small messaging link above the main menus on the admin pages.
View the request
- Make sure you are viewing Registration Notes by clicking the correct tab
- The Private Lesson Request will appear in the list (bolded if you have not yet viewed it). Click it to open up the details
- The pop up window shows the specifics and the family's comments. You can click the Family Member name to go to their account information and contact them to pick the best time/teacher etc.
Picking a good time, and creating a lesson time-slot
- View your class calendar in the admin system by selecting it from the classes menu
- Make sure you are viewing the correct session using the session selector, and scroll to the first week of classes for this new student.
- Use the Filters to help in viewing the current schedule for particular teachers, curricula, locations etc
- Once you have selected a good, open time-slot for the private lesson, click it on the calendar
Create the Class (Schedule the Lesson)
A window will pop open with the session, date, day and time already set.
- Select your private lesson curriculum and unit.
- Set the correct parameters for the class. The start and end date will update automatically to reflect the curriculum settings for number of classes/weeks and the session calendar holidays/breaks.
- If there are other class parameters that are not standard (as in the curriculum), use the Next buttons to review the materials, policies and registration method settings
- Click OK and the class is created.
Note: If you are creating several classes all these settings will default to the last ones used, making the entry of several classes a simple two or three click process.
Activate the class and enroll the student
If the class has updated and can be seen on the calendar, just click it. If it is not yet visible, click on List of classes and select the new class there (it will be the one that says "initiated" in the right, status, column.
- The class now needs to be activated, so click the Activate button
- Then click on Enrollment to schedule and charge your new student
Adding the Student
- Click Find a Student to Enroll and find & enroll the new student.
This will complete the private lesson scheduling, and set up the appropriate fees and payment schedule according to the plans and policies you have set up.