YourVirtuoso can collect referral source information when families enroll with you, and provide useful reports to help manage your marketing efforts.
Activating Referral Source Tracking
Your Referral Source data is managed through your Admin site under Marketing.
To access Referral Source management click on the Marketing link in the top navigation and then click on the Referral Sources link in the sub navigation.
By default, Referral Source Tracking is turned off for your studio. This is to prevent families that register being prompted for referral information before you have had an opportunity to configure your referral source options.
To turn on Referral Source Tracking you will need to go to My Info/Preferences or click the "here" link provided on the Marketing Referral Sources Main pa
Once you are in the Preferences section, click the edit button on the top right.
- In the Edit form, check off the box next to Use marketing referral sources.
- Click the Save button on the bottom, and Marketing Referral Source Tracking is now turned on!
IMPORTANT: Once you have turned Marketing Referral Source Tracking on, you should IMMEDIATELY configure your options as you wish to have them presented to registering families.
Managing Referral Source Options
- Go back to the Referral Sources management page by clicking the Marketing link in the top navigation
- Then the Referral Sources link in the sub navigation. If this is the first time you have turned on Marketing Referral Source Tracking you will find that the system has created some default values for you.
- To add to or edit these default values click the Edit button across from the Referral Source Options. This will take you to the Referral Source Options form.
Referral Source Options List
The Referral Source Options form lists each referral source displayed to your families.
- Click the Add a Referral Source Option link to add a new option, or
- Click the ☒ icon beside a listed option to delete it, or
- Click on the name of an option to edit it.
- To preserve any edits made on the Referral Source Options form you must click the Save button. Clicking the Cancel button will back out any changes and return you to the Referral Source management main page.
Editing or Adding a Referral Source Option
Two fields are required:
- Referral Source title – This is the title of the option that will be displayed to parents as they register for an account with your studio.
- Capture Specification Text – If you wish to capture detailed information from parents, check this box to have a text field displayed with your option.
“[with specification text]” beside the option title denotes a referral Source Options that offers the parents the ability to add explanatory text, such as which friend referred them, or which “Other” source referred them
Note that when you edit a Referral Source Option red warning text is displayed in the pop-up window. This text is alerting you that renaming Referral Source Options that have already been used by parents affects your reports, potentially in confusing ways. For example, if you want to rename an option that has been used from Yellow Pages to Phone Book, this might not pose a problem. The numbers reported for Phone Book would simply add to the old numbers for Yellow Pages. However, if you were to rename Yellow Pages to Radio Ad then reporting would show anyone who previously said they heard of you through Yellow Pages as having heard of you through Radio Ad!
Deleting Referral Source Options
Deleting a Referral Source Option that has been selected by a family is not a problem. Historical data for the option will still be reported, but the deleted option will no longer be presented to families registering for an account with your studio.
Referral Source Options on the Public Site
Referral Source Options are presented to new families as they register for an online account with you (usually as they enroll in class for the first time). Referral information is captured on the second page of the signup process – the "Information About You" step:
If you do not have Marketing Referral Source Track- ing turned on then the "How did you hear about us?" area is not displayed.
Any option that has capture specific text turned on will have "Please specify" text shown, along with the text input area. The specific text is optional and not required to continue. Multiple sources can be provided.
Referral Source Options on the Admin Site
Referral Source information is also captured when adding a new family through your Admin site. A form dedicated to capturing just Referral Source information is provided as the 2nd page in the add family wizard.
If no Referral information is known or provided, everything can be left unchecked. If your studio does not collect Referral Source information then this form is skipped.
Reporting on Referral Sources
There are 2 reports found in reporting for Marketing Referral Source Tracking. To access them click on Reporting in the top navigation, then click on Referral Sources or comments in the sub navigation.
The 2 reports offered are:
- Referral Sources – Offers statistics for the sources entered by new families that register for an account.
- Referral Source Comments – For each Referral Source Option that captures specific text, a table is provided with the specific answers given by new families.