In this document we will explain, step by step, how to quickly get your studio up and running in YourVirtuoso.
Just three steps are required before you can schedule your first class and be on your way, but depending on the complexity and scope of your business, there are several other areas you will want to review and edit to make things fit your needs. Here are the steps we recommend, in the order that generally makes the most sense:
- Logging In (Required)
- Setting up your Studio Calendar (Recommended)
- Creating a Session (Required)
- Setting Location Information (Required)
- Setting Teacher Information (Optional)
- Picking a Pricing Plan (Optional)
- Setting your Policies (Optional)
- Setting up your Curricula (Optional)
- Scheduling your Classes (Required)
- Customizing Your Website (Optional)
- Using your own Domain Name - "Going Live" (Optional)
From your welcome email, find your Admin website login address and click it, or paste it into your browser.
If you can't find it the login address looks like http://yourstudioname.yourvirtuoso.com/admin/login.html where yourstudioname is the web name you selected during signup.
Use the same login (email) and password you created during signup.
You may be asked to change your password for security reasons. In this case your Old password is the one you just used, and your New password is one you should now decide on. It will need at least 6 characters, and more than one type of character (letter, number etc.)
Your Administration Dashboard
Once logged in, you will see this dashboard. Feel free to look around, but return to the steps below to ensure you set things up in the right order.
Setting up your Studio Calendar
Your studio, marketing calendar provides a way for you to inform your customers when you are closed for holidays, vacations etc., and when you have special events planned for them. It is the primary calendar for your studio, and when you set up a session (Fall 2000 for example) the holidays here become the default closing dates for the classes in that session (they can be changed for each session separately however, if needed).
- In the main menu, click on Marketing and Marketing Calendar
- Click on a day or on the New Event or New Holiday buttons to set up your calendar. To start with, just verify that the holidays and breaks you will be observing are reflected here.
Creating a Session
Your classes will be grouped into Sessions (e.g. Fall 2000) to make it easier for parents pick classes, and for you to see reports and statistics on your enrollment. You must create at least one session before you can set up your classes.
- Click on Setup, in the main navigation bar, and on Sessions
- Click on Add a Session
- Select an icon for the session, which will be used to help customers navigate your classes
- Give the session a Name that makes sense for you and your parents (e.g. Year 2010/2011 or Fall '11)
- If you have more than one session set up, you will need to specify which order they are to be displayed in on your website. You do this by picking an existing session from the This Session Follows selector.
- Enter the start and end dates for the session. These dates will become the default dates for classes to start and end. You can type the dates, using the full 4 digit year, or choose dates by clicking on the calendar icons. Click on the arrows to go back and forward by months or years, and then click on the day you want to start or end the session.
- If this session does not exactly follow your overall studio calendar for holidays and closings, you should click Edit Holidays and Closings to make specific changes to the days when classes will meet in this session. (See Setting up your Studio Calendar above)
- If you are specifying a preregistration period, where only certain families can enroll online, you can specify which session they need to have enrolled in, and the last day of the preregistration period, after which enrollment is open to anyone. Note that you will also need to designate the classes to which this applies, by putting them in Pre-register status, rather than full Active status.
- Click in the Session Description box to provide or edit this text, which is displayed at the top of the Classes page when a customer chooses to view classes for this specific session.
Finally, click on Save. The list of sessions should now include the one you just created/edited. If it is a new one, you will need to make this session visible on your public website by clicking on Activate at the right end of the session list.
Setting Location Information
If your primary teaching location is already entered from your signup, you can skip most of this step if you wish.
- To check the information is correct, just select Setup/Locations
Adding or Editing Your Location(s)
You will see a list of your locations. You may see the studio you specified during sign up named as "Main Studio". If not, you will need to add at least one location.
- To change the name of your "Main Studio" and check it is correctly set up, click on its name. Then click on one of the Edit buttons if you need to change the studio information.
- To add a location click on Add a Location at the top left of the list
Editing Studio Location Information
- Fill in the information form that appears on the Set Location Information page using the name and description you want to appear on your public website for this location. You must provide information for all the fields marked with an asterisk (*) as they are important to the functioning of the system. If you omit one of these fields by accident, and try to go to the next screen, the field name will turn red.
- If there are several rooms available at this location, click on the rooms link to provide their names, so that classes and lessons can be assigned to them specifically.
- Tax Status is the last required field on this page, and it allows you to classify sales at this location to be exempt from sales tax. We strongly recommend that you consult an accountant or tax attorney to ensure you handle sales tax correctly. If you do not charge explicity for materials, and/or if you pay sales tax to the vendor of the materials, you may be exempt. For locations that are not exempt, YourVirtuoso will charge sales tax on class materials according to the state, county and city of the location, and you must remit those taxes to your local taxing authority. In this case, you should check the tax rates shown under MyInfo.
- Now click on the Save or Next > button to provide maps and pictures for this location.
Set Location Maps and Pictures
- On this page. you will set up links to internet sites that will provide maps and directions to your location. You may choose from three different internet sites: Mapquest, Yahoo and Google. Click on the View links to preview any of the maps or directions. Click on the Use links to specify which internet site to use.
- In the text area labeled General Directions, you may provide your own text directions and/or embellish the internet directions with details such as nearby landmarks etc.
- The lower area allows you to provide two pictures of your location. The Main Picture is a photo that will be displayed when a customer asks for detailed information about that location. The Icon Picture is a small photo that will be used next to the location name when a list of all locations is displayed.
- If you have suitable pictures on your computer, from a digital camera for example, click on Choose File for each of the two pictures, and your computer will prompt you to pick the appropriate picture files. If you do not have pictures, you can continue without them, and come back later to add them at any time.
- Click on Next > or Save to review a summary of the location information and save it.
Setup Teachers and Staff
If you specified that you are a teacher during signup, you will already be set up, and can skip this step. If not, you will need to either edit your staff info to indicate that you are a teacher, or add a teacher to your setup.
- If you want to add or edit the list of staff and teachers go to Setup in the main navigation bar, and click on Staff.
For more information on staff setup, consult the Staff section of the User Guide
Picking a Pricing Plan
YourVirtuoso comes with several pre-configured Pricing Plans which determine when payments are due from your customers. It is recommended that you use one of these plans to get started, as the definition of custom plans can be complex.
It is possible to use different plans for different curricula and even for different classes. While the pricing plan defines the amount of the registration fee, the materials fees and tuition fees are defined later (default fees should be set in Curricula; specific fees can be set for each class).
For now, just make a note of the plan you want to use
NOTE: It is not advisable to change pricing plans once you have activated your classes and started receiving enrollments. The best time to decide on a pricing plan is now - before you set up curricula and classes.
Set your Refund Policy
You can skip this section if you wish, as default curricula and refund policies have already been set up for you.
Any policy you have here, if it is used by one of your active curricula, will appear on your public policies webpage.
- To add or edit your refund policies, click on Setup and Refund Policies.
- Click on the clone link next to the default policy and review the description. If it is acceptable to you, click Cancel.
- If you need to change the default policy, type a new name for your policy. Use a title that will make sense to your customers (e.g. Piano Refund Policy), modify the description to your needs and Click on Save.
You can skip this section, as defaults have been setup already. The default Prorate policy is to prorate just tuition fees, based on the number of classes left in the session. YourVirtuoso (depending on the situation and the software version you are using) will not automatically apply prorates, but the policy will be part of the policies displayed to customers on your website.
- If you need a different Prorate policy, click on Setup and then click on Prorate Policies
- Click on Add a Prorate Policy.
For more information on prorate policy setup, consult the policies sections of the User Guide
5) Discount Policies
You can skip this section also, as defaults discount policies have been set up for you.
Discount Policies may contain several specific discounts (e.g. early registration, siblings). They are selected in curricula and in class setup.
- If you want to review, add or edit your discount policies, click on Setup and then click on Discount Policies
- You can review the details by clicking on clone.
- If you wish to define a new discount policy, click Add a Discount Policy
NOTE: Discount Policies are displayed to families looking for pricing and discount information. If you select automatic application, they will be applied whenever you or a family enrolls a student in a class. Custom discounts cannot be automatically applied, as the rules for applying them are not known to YourVirtuoso. You can apply any discount, including Custom discounts, from your admin system using the modify links against charges on the Family AR page.
Setup Your Curricula
Curricula provide the details of the types of classes you teach. They are used on your public website to describe the types of class, and whenever you open up a class, you pick a curriculum and all the default information from the curriculum is entered in the class for you automatically.
YourVirtuoso comes with a set of pre-defined curricula, which depend on your affiliations and licensing. To get started, you may want to check the details of the curricula you use, and possible create one or two new ones.
- Click on Setup and on Curricula to bring up a list of your curricula. The list will include an initial set of curricula.
- If a curriculum you need is on the list, click on its name to edit it.
- If a curriculum you need is not on the list click on Add a Curriculum, select a curriculum template on the next page (or New to start from scratch) and follow the wizard which will take you through the edit pages below.
For more information on curriculum setup, consult the Curriculum section of the User Guide
Schedule a Class
- On the main menus, click on Classes and Add a Class
Note: You can also add a class by clicking a date on the Class Calendar page using essentially the same process as described below.
Enter Class Details
- Select the curriculum you want to use for this class. If the curriculum is not there, you should click Cancel, and return to Setup Curricula to add it
- Immediately below the curriculum you selected, the list of available units for it will appear. Select one of these units for this class. Note: If you will be teaching multiple units in this class it is possible to Ctrl click or Cmd Click multiple units to select more than one.
- Select an instructor, a location and room if applicable. Location is required.
- Select the Session this class is part of. This will initialize the start and end dates based on the session calendar, but you should adjust them as needed so that they correspond to the specific day of the week for this class.
- The rest of the information is filled in based on your curriculum settings, but may be edited if needed.
- The Wait List size determines how many students can be on the wait list before the class is marked as full on the website. The # of Previews specifies how many of the open class slots can be selected by prospective families asking to preview the class. If you want families to contact you, rather than schedule a preview class online, set this to 0
- Click Next>
Class Days and Times
To specify which Day and Time the class meets,
- Click on Add a Day & Time which brings up a pop up window
- Select a Day of the week, or "Daily" which is a shortcut to add all weekdays for summer camps etc. Note that you are scheduling one specific class only. If you offer the same curriculum 4 times a week, each one will be a new class. Do not enter 4 days/times here.
- Specify the Time at which the class meets
- Specify the Duration of the class
- Click OK and repeat from step 1 only if that specific class of students meets more than once per week.
- Click Next>
Class Pricing etc.
Class Pricing is pre-set using the defaults for the curriculum, and usually you will just need to click Next>
- If you want to set the class tuition fee differently from your default, enter the amount, and whether the amount is for each class, per month, or for the full session of classes.
- Pricing Plans and Policies can be changed from curriculum defaults using the selectors at the bottom if needed
- Click Next>
Class Materials, if any, are pre-set using the defaults for the curriculum and unit, and usually you will just need to click Next>
- You can change the pricing options for the materials package(s) listed by clicking on their name
- Click Next>
Class Registration Method
The majority of classes will use the default Standard Registration, and usually you will just need to click Next>. This means that customers will see your classes with a Register link, and can click on it to go through the online registration and payment process. If you have unusual requirements, you may need to use a different registration method. The other options are explained on screen as you select them:
No Registration replaces the Register links on your public website for this class and replaces them with Contact Us links that take parents to a page where the message you type in is displayed, along with contact information.
Registration Document uses the register link for this class to take parents to a page where your message is displayed, and one or more documents are made available for them to download. You will need to add these document(s) to the list of available documents, and select at least one of them.
Third Party Link will display a link to a website you specify here by entering its full web address (URL). This can be used if you want to promote classes at a recreation center where the center takes care of all enrollments for you.
Registration with Message will take parents to a page with the message you enter here, and then let them continue to register online using YourVirtuoso.
- Select the option you need, and fill out any required information
- Click Next>
Confirm Class Setup
- Review the details of the class and confirm they are correct,
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Save if they are correct, or Back if you need to make a change.
Activate the Class
- The list of classes returns, and your new class will appear with a status of Initiated. In this state, you can work with the class by clicking on its name, but it will not appear on your website, and you will not be able to register students in it. Once you are ready to publish this class and register students in it, click on the word Initiated and you can Activate it by clicking OK in the pop up window that appears.
- You can also manage class status by clicking on the selection icon at the top left of the list. The drop down allows you to pick, for example, all your classes in Initial status.
- You can then use the status change buttons at the top to Activate all the selected classes with one click.
- If you have set up your Session for Pre-registration you can also use this method to enable some or all classes for pre-registration (See Session Setup)
Customizing Your Website
Your website is now active, and includes automatically all the class, location, teacher and policy information you have entered. If you wish to further customize it by adding photos, editing the text content etc., Click on Website Editor in the Content menu. For more information, consult the Website Editing section of the Knowledgebase
Using your own Domain Name
If you have reserved a custom domain name from a domain registrar such as Godaddy.com that you would prefer to use over the default URL (yourstudioname.yourvirtuoso.com) that has been assigned to you, you can do so by forwarding it to the default address. Please consult the Activating a Custom Domain instructions for details if you are not familiar with this process.
You are all done with the initial setup information in your administration system, and you are ready to begin taking online registrations and payments!